Joy. Such a small word with big rewards. Joy has the ability to change our lives. It can take a dark day and turn it around, but first we have to allow joy to be a part of our lives.
I need more joy in my life. As I grow older I find that I have a more serious nature. There is a time and purpose for everything and I need to find the balance between seriousness and being the life of the party.
While on this journey I’m striving to cultivate the right kind of joy. I want the joy of the Lord. I don’t just want joy that disappears in the midst of difficulties. I need the deep joy that is found only when walking in step with the Lord.
The next step on our journey towards A Season of Joy will seem like it is meant more for your children than you, but that is not true. So, please be sure not to skip it. It is important.
You can’t create a joyful home just by pursuing it all by yourself. I encourage you take time to include them in this journey towards A Season of Joy with you by using at least one of the family activities from each step.
How to Pursue Joy in Your Home
You can cultivate joy in your home by being obedient to the Lord.
By obeying the Lord we are giving our children (and sometimes our spouses!) an example of what being obedient looks like. Just because we all eventually grow up doesn’t mean that we don’t have to obey anyone anymore.
As children it is important to learn to obey our parents and those in authority over us in order to prepare us to obey God throughout the rest of our lives.
As parents it is essential that we be the living example of what obedience to the Lord looks like.
* Teach your children what obedience to the Lord looks like when you have to make a decision and you seek Him first. Make sure to explain to them the hows and whys behind your decision
* Challenge your family to work together to obey the Ten Commandments for a certain period of time. Afterwards come together and discuss the difficulties it brought each of you and take time to thank the Lord for His gift of salvation
* Play the games “Mother May I”, “Simon Says” and “Red Light, Green Light” together as a family
Get a Free 10 Commandments Digital Art Resource here
When we are obedient to the Lord we will be filled with His joy. When our children see us being obedient to the Lord and the joy it fills us with, they will want to have the same thing too!
Obedience truly can change your home and bring joy to your entire family!
If you’d like more encouragement, tips and prayer for this journey, I would love to have you join me on a journey to A Season of Joy in my private Facebook group.
You Might Also Like...
Latest posts by Misty Leask (see all)
- Why All High Schoolers Should Get a Fine Arts Credit (and How to Do It!) - February 21, 2018
- Nurturing a Lifestyle of Learning in Your High Schooler - February 20, 2018
- Trade School: Preparations for Homeschoolers - February 19, 2018