As the temperatures cool off, lots of animals start getting ready for the cold by burrowing into dens, migrating to warmer climates, and storing food for the winter.
I thought this would be a great time to talk about animal homes with the kids. So, here’s a fun animal homes unit study featuring videos, books, and activities for studying animal habitats!
Animal Habitats Video
Watch the video below and then answer the following questions with your kids.
- Where does the Arctic Fox live? (Answer: In the Arctic near the North Pole)
- Where does the Desert Bobcat live? (Answer: In the desert)
- Why do both the Arctic Fox and the Desert Bobcat have thick layers of fur? (Answer: To keep them warm during extremely cold temperatures.)
- What does biome mean? (Answer: The type of habitat in which an animal lives. It is determined by the climate.)
- How does the taiga differ from the tundra and the desert? (Answer: The taiga has trees.)
- Where does the Coral Snake live? (Answer: In underground cracks and crevices)
- What challenges are faced by animals who live in hot or cold biomes? (Answer: Animals that live in hot biomes work harder to find water, while animals that live in cold biomes have to work harder to find food.)
Animal Homes Crafts and Activities
- Searching for Animal Homes – Inspiration Laboratories: A really fun and simple way to learn about where animals live in your neighborhood!
- Forest Playdough Alphabet Mats – Look! We’re Learning!: Lots of animals live in the forest. Help preschoolers learn their ABCs with these fun forest-themed alphabet mats!
- Beaver Lodge Craft – Things to Share and Remember: Learn how to make a beaver lodge craft with craft sticks!
Kids’ Books about Animal Homes