Last Updated September 2020
Your privacy matters to me. I take very seriously the information you give and am taking every precaution to protect that information. It is why I have developed this policy in order for you to understand how I collect, use, and disclose personal data.
This document was created and modified using a template from SEQ Legal (https://seqlegal.com).
3. How we use your personal data
In this Section 3 we have set out:
- the general categories of personal data that we may process;
- the purposes for which we may process personal data; and
- the legal bases of the processing.
We may process data about your use of our website and services (“usage data“). The usage data may include your IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, operating system, referral source, length of visit, page views and website navigation paths, as well as information about the timing, frequency and pattern of your service use. The source of the usage data is Google Analytics. This usage data may be processed for the purposes of analyzing the use of the website and services. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely monitoring and improving our website and services.
We may process your account data (“account data“). The account data may include your name and email address. The source of the account data is you. The account data may be processed for the purposes of operating our website, providing our services, ensuring the security of our website and services, maintaining back-ups of our databases and communicating with you. The legal basis for this processing is consent.
We may process your information included in your personal profile on our website (“profile data“). The profile data may include your name, address, telephone number, email address, profile pictures, gender, date of birth, relationship status, interests and hobbies, educational details and employment details. The profile data may be processed for the purposes of enabling and monitoring your use of our website and services. The legal basis for this processing is consent.
We may process your personal data that are provided in the course of the use of our services (“service data“). The service data may include your name, address, email address, and profile pictures. The source of the service data is you. The service data may be processed for the purposes of operating our website.
We may process information that you post for publication on our website or through our services (“publication data“). The publication data may be processed for the purposes of enabling such publication and administering our website and services. The legal basis for this processing is consent.
We may process information contained in any enquiry you submit to us regarding goods and/or services (“enquiry data“). The enquiry data may be processed for the purposes of offering, marketing and selling relevant goods and/or services to you. The legal basis for this processing is consent.
We may process information relating to transactions, including purchases of goods and services, that you enter into with us and/or through our website (“transaction data“). The transaction data may include your contact details, your card details and the transaction details. The transaction data may be processed for the purpose of supplying the purchased goods and services and keeping proper records of those transactions. The legal basis for this processing is The performance of a contract between you and us and/or taking steps, at your request, to enter into such a contract and our legitimate interests, namely our interest in the proper administration of our website and business.
We may process information that you provide to us for the purpose of subscribing to our email notifications and/or newsletters (“notification data“). The notification data may be processed for the purposes of sending you the relevant notifications and/or newsletters. The legal basis for this processing is consent.
We may process information contained in or relating to any communication that you send to us (“correspondence data“). The correspondence data may include the communication content and metadata associated with the communication. Our website will generate the metadata associated with communications made using the website contact forms. The correspondence data may be processed for the purposes of communicating with you and record-keeping. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the proper administration of our website and business and communications with users.
We do not collect any data detailing your race, ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, or information about your health, genetic and bio-metric (“sensitive data“) We also do not collect any information about criminal convictions and offenses.
There may be more than one legal ground for us processing your personal data, which would be dependent upon the reason specific to the task for which we use your data. If you wish to have specific details as to the legal ground we rely upon for the use and process of your personal data (listed below), please contact us at [email protected]
Email marketing communication
You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested to receive information or newsletters from us, if you provided us with your details and have intentionally consented that we send you email marketing communication, and have not unsubscribed from our emails.
You may request of us, or of third parties, to stop sending you email marketing and newsletters at any time by clicking the unsubscribe button at the end of every email, or by emailing us at [email protected]
This will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of a product purchase.
The purpose for us collecting and using your data
- Data used/collected: Your identity, contact information, profile, marketing and communication
- Legal grounds for processing your data: Performance of a contract with you – which would be necessary to comply with a legal obligation or for our legitimate interests in keeping records updated
- Registering you as a new customer
- Data used/collected: Your identity and contact information
- Legal grounds for processing your data: Performance of a contract with you
- Processing and delivering your order:
- Managing payments and fees, and collecting/recovering moneies owed
- Data used/collected: Identity, Your contact, financial, transactional, marketing and communication data
- Legal grounds for processing your data: Performance of a contract. Necessity for legitimate interests in collecting fees and monies/debts owed to us
- Recommendations to you about goods or services relevant to your needs
- Data used/collected: Your identity, contact information, technical data, usage practices, profile data
- Legal grounds for processing your data: Legitimate interest in product/service creation and business growth and strategy development
- Use of data analytics to improve our website, products/services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences
- Data used/collected: Your technical data and/or usage of our website
- Legal grounds for processing your data: The necessity of our legitimate interests in defining customers who may benefit from our products and services; keeping our site updated and relevant to our readers, as well as developing a leading, targeted business and marketing strategy
- Delivery of website content and advertisements relevant to your needs and necessary feedback about the effectiveness of our marketing strategy
- Data used/collected: Your identity, your contact details, your profile data, usage practices or our website, marketing and/or communication details, and technical data
- Legal grounds for processing your data: The necessity of our legitimate interests in defining customers who may benefit from our products and services; keeping our site updated and relevant to our readers, as well as developing a leading, targeted business and marketing strategy. Legitimate interests in offering our readers and customers related paid services in order to compensate for hours spent providing free information.
- Complete of a survey or questionnaire
- Data used/collected: Your identity, contact details, profile data, usage practices of our website, marketing and/or communication details
- Legal grounds for processing your data: Our legitimate interests in understanding how customers and readers use our site, products, and services in order to better develop our business strategy
- For administrative and protective business measures on our site, such as data science, troubleshooting, system maintenance, technical support, reporting and storage of data
- Data used/collected: Your identity, contact details, technical data
- Legal grounds for processing your data: Legitimate interests in running our business, efficient administration, needed technical services, network security, fraud prevention, and legal obligation
Your data will only be used by us for the express and specific purpose it was obtained, except in the event we deem necessary to use it for another purpose that is in accordance with the original purpose it was obtained. For more information about this, please email [email protected]
In the event we deem it necessary to use your data for a reason not in accordance with the original purpose it was obtained, we will notify you, provide legal ground for processing of your data, and provide you an opportunity to opt-out of your data being processed by us.
We may process any of your personal data identified in this policy where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative or out-of-court procedure. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the protection and assertion of our legal rights, your legal rights and the legal rights of others.
We may process any of your personal data identified in this policy where necessary for the purposes of obtaining or maintaining insurance coverage, managing risks, or obtaining professional advice. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the proper protection of our business against risks.
In addition to the specific purposes for which we may process your personal data set out in this Section 3, we may also process any of your personal data where such processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person.
Please do not supply any other person’s personal data to us.
We will keep your email address confidential. We do not sell or otherwise share our subscription lists to third-parties for any purpose whatsoever, except in the event that we are so compelled by law to do so.
4. Providing your personal data to others
We may disclose our personal data to our insurers and/or professional advisers insofar as reasonably necessary for the purposes of obtaining or maintaining insurance coverage, managing risks, obtaining professional advice, or the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative or out-of-court procedure.
Financial transactions relating to our website and services are handled by our payment services provider, Paypal. We will share transaction data with our payment service providers only to the extent necessary for the purposes of processing your payments, refunding such payments and dealing with complaints and queries relating to such payments and refunds. You can find information about the payment services providers’ privacy policies and practices at paypal.com.
In addition to the specific disclosures of personal data set out in this Section 4, we may disclose your personal data where such disclosure is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person. We may also disclose your personal data where such disclosure is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative or out-of-court procedure.
You have the right to cancel your consent to email marketing and newsletters at any time by clicking unsubscribe at the bottom of any email or by emailing us at [email protected]
Here are the third parties from which we may receive data about you:
- Technical data from MailerLite
- Advertising networks Mediavine Marketing and Amazon
- Social media platforms Facebook / Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube
- Social media scheduling platforms Post Planner, Later, Tailwind, Hootsuite, Next Scripts
- Contact, transaction, and financial data from Paypal
- Analytics provided by Google
6. Retaining and deleting personal data
This Section 6 sets out our data retention policies and procedure, which are designed to help ensure that we comply with our legal obligations in relation to the retention and deletion of personal data.
Personal data that we process for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
We will retain your personal data as follows:
- All personal data will be retained for a minimum period of your membership and/or user status with this site.
- In some cases it is not possible for us to specify in advance the periods for which your personal data will be retained. In such cases, we will determine the period of retention based on the following criteria:
- the period of retention of all personal data will be determined based on your personal desire.
- Notwithstanding the other provisions of this Section 6, we may retain your personal data where such retention is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person.
We may update this policy from time to time by publishing a new version on our website. You should check this page occasionally to ensure you are happy with any changes to this policy. We will notify you of changes to this policy by email.
You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you; provision of such information will be subject to the supply of appropriate evidence of your identity (for this purpose, we will usually accept a photocopy of your passport certified by a solicitor or bank plus an original copy of a utility bill showing your current address).
We may withhold personal information that you request to the extent permitted by law. You may instruct us at any time not to process your personal information for marketing purposes. In practice, you will usually either expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal information for marketing purposes, or we will provide you with an opportunity to opt out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes.
In this Section 8, we have summarized the rights that you have under data protection law. Some of the rights are complex, and not all of the details have been included in our summaries. Accordingly, you should read the relevant laws and guidance from the regulatory authorities for a full explanation of these rights.
Your principal rights under data protection law are:
- the right to access;
- the right to rectification;
- the right to erasure;
- the right to restrict processing;
- the right to object to processing;
- the right to data portability;
- the right to complain to a supervisory authority; and
- the right to withdraw consent.
You have the right to confirmation as to whether or not we process your personal data and, where we do, access to the personal data, together with certain additional information. That additional information includes details of the purposes of the processing, the categories of personal data concerned and the recipients of the personal data. Providing the rights and freedoms of others are not affected, we will supply to you a copy of your personal data. The first copy will be provided free of charge, but additional copies may be subject to a reasonable fee.
You have the right to have any inaccurate personal data about you rectified and, taking into account the purposes of the processing, to have any incomplete personal data about you completed.
In some circumstances you have the right to the erasure of your personal data without undue delay. Those circumstances include: the personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed; you withdraw consent to consent-based processing; you object to the processing under certain rules of applicable data protection law; the processing is for direct marketing purposes; and the personal data have been unlawfully processed. However, there are exclusions of the right to erasure. The general exclusions include where processing is necessary: for exercising the right of freedom of expression and information; for compliance with a legal obligation; or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
In some circumstances you have the right to restrict the processing of your personal data. Those circumstances are: you contest the accuracy of the personal data; processing is unlawful but you oppose erasure; we no longer need the personal data for the purposes of our processing, but you require personal data for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims; and you have objected to processing, pending the verification of that objection. Where processing has been restricted on this basis, we may continue to store your personal data. However, we will only otherwise process it: with your consent; for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims; for the protection of the rights of another natural or legal person; or for reasons of important public interest.
You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data on grounds relating to your particular situation, but only to the extent that the legal basis for the processing is that the processing is necessary for: the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of any official authority vested in us; or the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by us or by a third party. If you make such an objection, we will cease to process the personal information unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests, rights and freedoms, or the processing is for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes (including profiling for direct marketing purposes). If you make such an objection, we will cease to process your personal data for this purpose.
To the extent that the legal basis for our processing of your personal data is:
- consent; or
- that the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are party or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract, and such processing is carried out by automated means, you have the right to receive your personal data from us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. However, this right does not apply where it would adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others.
If you consider that our processing of your personal information infringes data protection laws, you have a legal right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority responsible for data protection. You may do so in the EU member state of your habitual residence, your place of work or the place of the alleged infringement.
To the extent that the legal basis for our processing of your personal information is consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of processing before the withdrawal.
You may exercise any of your rights in relation to your personal data by written notice to us.
9. Third Party Links
Year Round Homeschooling may include links to other websites (third-party) and may use plugins and other applications to improve your visit to your website. When you click on those links or enable the connection to those third-parties, they may collect or share data about you. We do not and cannot control these websites and their practices, nor do we bear any responsibility for their privacy statements. We urge you to read the privacy policies and statements of every website you visit upon leaving Year Round Homeschooling.
- Service who assist us in offering support for our website, such as through payment processing, website hosing, and email delivery.
Mediavine Programmatic Advertising (Ver 1.0)
The Website works with Mediavine to manage third-party interest-based advertising appearing on the Website. Mediavine serves content and advertisements when you visit the Website, which may use first and third-party cookies. A cookie is a small text file which is sent to your computer or mobile device (referred to in this policy as a “device”) by the web server so that a website can remember some information about your browsing activity on the Website.
First party cookies are created by the website that you are visiting. A third-party cookie is frequently used in behavioral advertising and analytics and is created by a domain other than the website you are visiting. Third-party cookies, tags, pixels, beacons and other similar technologies (collectively, “Tags”) may be placed on the Website to monitor interaction with advertising content and to target and optimize advertising. Each internet browser has functionality so that you can block both first and third-party cookies and clear your browser’s cache. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, how to disable existing cookies and how to clear your browser’s cache. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information at https://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/.
Without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of the Website content and features. Please note that rejecting cookies does not mean that you will no longer see ads when you visit our Site. In the event you opt-out, you will still see non-personalized advertisements on the Website.
The Website collects the following data using a cookie when serving personalized ads:
- IP Address
- Operating System type
- Operating System version
- Device Type
- Language of the website
- Web browser type
- Email (in hashed form)
Mediavine Partners (companies listed below with whom Mediavine shares data) may also use this data to link to other end user information the partner has independently collected to deliver targeted advertisements. Mediavine Partners may also separately collect data about end users from other sources, such as advertising IDs or pixels, and link that data to data collected from Mediavine publishers in order to provide interest-based advertising across your online experience, including devices, browsers and apps. This data includes usage data, cookie information, device information, information about interactions between users and advertisements and websites, geolocation data, traffic data, and information about a visitor’s referral source to a particular website. Mediavine Partners may also create unique IDs to create audience segments, which are used to provide targeted advertising.
If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices to opt-in or opt-out of this data collection, please visit Opt Out – NAI: Network Advertising Initiative. You may also visit http://optout.aboutads.info/#/ and http://optout.networkadvertising.org/# to learn more information about interest-based advertising. You may download the AppChoices app at YourAdChoices.com | AppChoices to opt out in connection with mobile apps, or use the platform controls on your mobile device to opt out.
For specific information about Mediavine Partners, the data each collects and their data collection and privacy policies, please click here.
A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. Cookies may be either “persistent” cookies or “session” cookies: a persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date; a session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
Cookies that we use
Cookies used by our service providers
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit networkadvertising.org. The relevant cookies are listed below
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies and to delete cookies. The methods for doing so vary from browser to browser, and from version to version. You can however obtain up-to-date information about blocking and deleting cookies via these links:
- https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en (Chrome);
- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences (Firefox);
- http://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/security/cookies/ (Opera);
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies (Internet Explorer);
- https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/manage-cookies-and-website-data-sfri11471/mac (Safari); and
- https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-microsoft-edge-and-privacy (Edge).
Blocking all cookies will have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites. If you block cookies, you will not be able to use all the features on our website.
CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY ACT (CCPA) NOTICE AT COLLECTION
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), California consumers may be entitled to certain notices and disclosures regarding the collection and use of their Personal Information.
- We may collect Personal Information from you and use it for specified purposes. See above for information regarding how we use personal information.
- While we do not sell Personal Information for monetary value, we may disclose Personal Information to third parties, in such a way that may be considered a sale of Personal Information under CCPA.
- To ensure that we ‘do not sell’ your personal information, you may contact us at [email protected] and request that we remove your personal information from our website and third parties.