Welcome to the August edition of Calendar School!
Each month I will be sharing links to FREE internet resources to use to create fun, learning studies for special holiday and/or historical events.
Below you will find links to FREE resources for special holidays and/or historical events that happened in the month of August.
August 3 – National Watermelon Day
One of summer’s favorite snack foods, this big fruit deserves it’s own big day!
- How to Grow Watermelon
- Printable Watermelon Cut Outs
- Watermelon Craft
- Watermelon Printables and Activities from Making Learning Fun
- Watermelon Printables Pack for ages 2-7 from Gift of Curiosity
For older students, try different methods of cutting watermelon to find the easiest, most efficient way:
- How to Cut A Watermelon Into Cubes
- How to Cut Watermelon Into Sticks
- Instead of Pumpkin Carving, Carve a Watermelon!
August 7 – National Lighthouse Day
National Lighthouse Day honors and commemorates a beacon of light that symbolizes safety and security for boats at sea.
- Social Studies Lesson: Lighthouses (Grade 3-5) from Education World
- Build The Little Red Lighthouse
- Lighthouse Crafts and Learning Activities
- Lighthouse Coloring Pages
- Lighthouse Rectangles Craft
August 19 – National Aviation Day
National Aviation Day is in honor of the birthday of aviator Orville Wright.
- Orville Wright biography
- Orville & Wilbur Wright Science Study from DIY Homeschooler
- Fun Flight Facts for Kids
- Design Your Own Aircraft online game
- Key Events History of Flight Timeline (and more)
- Coloring Pages, Posters, and Tracer Pages
- 100 Years of Flight: An Interactive Timeline
- Famous Firsts in Aviation
- List of Aviation Pioneers
- Some Notable Women in Aviation History
Although I have visited each website before linking to it, things change all of the time on the wonderful world wide web…I apologize if any links do not work correctly, please leave a comment if you come across one so that I can fix it as soon as possible.