Welcome to the June edition of Calendar School!
Each month I will be sharing links to FREE internet resources to use to create fun, learning studies for special holiday and/or historical events.
Below you will find links to FREE resources for special holidays and/or historical events that happened in the month of June.
National Doughnut Day – always the first Friday in June
National Doughnut Day was established in 1938 by the Chicago Salvation Army to raise much-needed funds during the Great Depression, and to honor the work of World War I Salvation Army volunteers who prepared doughnuts and other foods for thousands of soldiers.
- The History of the Doughnut
- A Salvation Army-style Doughnut Recipe
- Krispy Kreme Doughnut Recipe
- History of the Salvation Army
- Doughnut! The Official Story
- A Read-Aloud Video – “If You Give a Dog a Donut”
- Origami Doughnut Craft
- Doughnut Coloring Pages from Supercoloring.com, MyFirstABC.com, & thecolor.com
Flag Day – June 14th
Flag Day, is a day for all Americans to celebrate and show respect for our flag, its designers and makers.
- Betsy Ross and the American Flag
- Betsy Ross Fill-in-the-blank printable worksheet from Homeschool Helper Online
- Flag Day Wordsearch printable
- The US Flag Code
- 12 Videos for American Flag Education from WatchKnowLearn
- Spotlight: Stars and Stripes (with online quiz)
- Sew Your Own American Flag
- American Flag Coloring Pages from Coloring Castle
National Catfish Day – June 25th
- Proclamation 5672 — National Catfish Day, 1987
- All About Catfish
- 15 Catfish Coloring pages
- Catfish Facts worksheet from Education.com
Paul Bunyan Day – June 28th
- Listen and Read the story of Paul Bunyan
- Printable crafts and activities from DLTK
- Paul Bunyan printables
- Paul Bunyan worksheet from Education.com
- Paul Bunyan coloring pages
Meteor Watch Day – June 30th
- Meteoroid facts for kids
- 10 Need to Know Things About Meteors and Meteorites
- All About Comets, Meteors, and Asteroids
- Meteor Unit Study
- Meteor, Meteorite, Meteoroid worksheet
- Meteor Wordsearch
- Meteor Multiplication (space-themed online math game)
- Preschool Lesson Plan: Do Shooting Stars Really Shoot?
Although I have visited each website before linking to it, things change all of the time on the wonderful world wide web…I apologize if any links do not work correctly, please leave a comment if you come across one so that I can fix it as soon as possible.