Spring is in the air! (and so is the pollen…lol.) It’s a great time of year to learn about flowers with this spring flowers unit study!
Flowers are all around us and it can be easy to take them for granted. Yet, they are actually complex and beautifully designed living things, complete with body parts and essential functions. With these books, crafts, and printables about spring flowers, kids can gain a new appreciation for how flowers enrich our world.
What are the Parts of a Flower?
Watch the above video and then ask your kids to answer the following questions:
- Why do flowers have petals? (Answer: To attract insects)
- What are the two parts of the stamen? (Answer: Anther and filament)
- What does the anther do? (Answer: Produces pollen sacs)
- What does the sepal do? (Answer: Protect the flower when it is developing as a bud)
- How do leaves help flowers? (Answer: They store food and water to help keep flowers healthy)
- What does the stem do? (Answer: Send water and nutrients to the flower)
Books about Spring Flowers
*Please note there are affiliate links below. For more information see our disclosure policy*
Reading about flowers is a great way to help kids learn different kinds of flowers and how they grow. Check out the following books about flowers to supplement your flower unit study.
Spring Flower Activities
- Spring Flower Flashcards – Look! We’re Learning! – These free spring flower flashcards are great for helping young learners recognize and identify typical flowers that grow during spring.
- Vibrantly Colored Coffee Filter Flowers Craft – Fun at Home with Kids – Make some adorable coffee filter flowers with this craft!
- Printable Flower Playdough Mat – Learn with Play at Home – Use flowers to teach kids fine motor skills and add a sensory activity by making playdough flowers!
- Textured Tissue Paper Flowers – Buggy and Buddy – Use colorful tissue paper to make flowers with young children!