Welcome to the February Edition of Calendar School!
Below you will find links to FREE resources for special holidays and/or historical events that happened in the month of February.
Groundhog Day – February 2
On February 2nd, each year, a ground hog awakens from a long winter’s nap, goes outside of his den to see if he sees his shadow. Legend has it, if he sees his shadow he runs back in to his den to continue his nap because Spring is still six weeks away. If he doesn’t see his shadow, he will play outside for a bit because Spring will soon be on it’s way!
Here are few fun activities, printables, and crafts to learn a little about this winter legend that has been around since 1887.
- Groundhog Day History
- Here’s a great video that explains Groundhog Day
- Read about Punxsutawney Phil, a very famous groundhog
- Online Groundhog Day Word Search
- Groundhog Day Graphing Worksheets
- Groundhog Day Vocabulary Worksheet
- Groundhog Shadow Craft
- Groundhog Hand and Footprint Craft
Valentine’s Day – February 14
Learn about St. Valentine and the history of how Valentine’s Day first began.
- History of Valentine’s Day
- Valentine’s Day Crossword Puzzle
- Valentine’s Day Themed Math Worksheets
- Valentine’s Day Worksheets
- Paper Heart Person Craft
- Printing Practice Valentine’s Day Cards
Polar Bear Day – February 27
Learn all about the world’s largest carnivore on land!
- All About Polar Bears
- San Diego Zoo Polar Bear Cam
- International Polar Bear Day
- Polar Bears for Kids (make sure you check out the “For Teachers” section for some great lesson plan resources)
- Animal Facts: Polar Bears
- Polar Bear Magnifying Match Ups
- Polar Bear Connect the Dots
- Polar Bear Paper Plate Craft
Although I have visited each website before linking to it, things change all of the time on the wonderful world wide web…I apologize if any links do not work correctly, please leave a comment if you come across one so that I can fix it as soon as possible.